2

In what situation would you use como esta, versus como estas, versus como estas tu.

And what would be the difference in meaning for each of the above.

3

formal ¿cómo está? how are you? Also - how is he? - how is she? it depends on the context

informal ¿cómo estás? how are you? ¿cómo estás tú? just to focus the importance on the person you're talking to...

• Sep 21, 2009
2

¿Cómo está? is for more formal meetings and to start a conversation to show respect. ¿Cómo estás? is more informal and friendly for someone you know well. ¿Cómo estás tú? is the same as above

• Sep 21, 2009
1

estas is more towards a friend. esta is formal. como estas? how are you ( informal)

• Sep 22, 2009
  • please note that it is mandatory on this forum to use correct spelling, grammar, and capitalization in your posts. - - 00494d19 Sep 22, 2009
1

You ask como esta? When you want to know how is he or she. Como esta (La Abuela)? Also you ask como esta? directly to a person if the person is an authority, and elder, or anyone you would like to refer with respect. I would ask that question to my aunts and uncles for example. You use this when you are meeting somebody for the first time. It is very formal. Como estas? is a question you ask to your peers, or somebody you are very close to. Like a friend or a classmate or somebody in a very relaxed atmosphere. Informal

• Oct 15, 2009
1

I never hear "¿Cómo estás tú?" unless someone has already asked "¿Cómo estás?"

Person #1 says: "¿Cómo estás?"

Person #2 answers: "Estoy bien. ¿Cómo estás tú?" which is a long way of saying, "Bien, y tú"

• Mar 14, 2010
0

I speak spanish, I live in Colombia and I'll tell you all words means the same, but como esta is more formal o serious, ex: an interview or somebody important como estas is most used between friends or relationships aunque tambien there is a synonym of "usted" or "tu" and it's "vos" and is most used between people who don't wanna say "usted" or "tu" Spanish is much easy

• Mar 14, 2010