Difference between cómo está, cómo estás & cómo estás tú? | SpanishDict Answers

In what situation would you use como esta, versus como estas, versus como estas tu.

And what would be the difference in meaning for each of the above.

formal ¿cómo está? how are you? Also - how is he? - how is she? it depends on the context

informal ¿cómo estás? how are you? ¿cómo estás tú? just to focus the importance on the person you're talking to...

¿Cómo está? is for more formal meetings and to start a conversation to show respect. ¿Cómo estás? is more informal and friendly for someone you know well. ¿Cómo estás tú? is the same as above

estas is more towards a friend. esta is formal. como estas? how are you ( informal)

• please note that it is mandatory on this forum to use correct spelling, grammar, and capitalization in your posts. - - 00494d19 Sep 22, 2009 flag

You ask como esta? When you want to know how is he or she. Como esta (La Abuela)? Also you ask como esta? directly to a person if the person is an authority, and elder, or anyone you would like to refer with respect. I would ask that question to my aunts and uncles for example. You use this when you are meeting somebody for the first time. It is very formal. Como estas? is a question you ask to your peers, or somebody you are very close to. Like a friend or a classmate or somebody in a very relaxed atmosphere. Informal

I never hear "¿Cómo estás tú?" unless someone has already asked "¿Cómo estás?"

Person #1 says: "¿Cómo estás?"

Person #2 answers: "Estoy bien. ¿Cómo estás tú?" which is a long way of saying, "Bien, y tú"

I speak spanish, I live in Colombia and I'll tell you all words means the same, but como esta is more formal o serious, ex: an interview or somebody important como estas is most used between friends or relationships aunque tambien there is a synonym of "usted" or "tu" and it's "vos" and is most used between people who don't wanna say "usted" or "tu" Spanish is much easy