1

In English we constitute a sentence like these;

Subject + (to be) + verb + (ing) + object

I think in Spanish it's different a little bit, but I can't understand exactly how I can do that? Please tell me somebody.

Thanks.

For example, Yo = I and Soy = I am and in a sentence "Estoy trabajando Español" I could'nt understand.

1

HI clarinete, welcome to the forum smile

Yes, this is one of the most confusing issues in Spanish, we have two words for the verb to be in English, which are ser y estar. Click on the link and see how you find out the different uses.

The progressive tense in Spanish is formed:

(Subject) + estar + verb (ing form, gerundio) + object

(Yo) Estoy comiendo manzanas.

Remember that we do NOT use the subject pronoun, it is implicit in the verb form.

• Sep 21, 2009
  • Thank you for your answer. I look the page and try to understand. - Clarinete Sep 21, 2009
1

Verb forms in Spanish are already personalised, so it isn't necessary (unless you need to add some emphasis or the person you're referring to isn't clear from the context) to use personal pronouns.

• Sep 21, 2009
  • Maybe this rule is like in Turkish. We don't say "Ben geliyorum." We say "Geliyorum." Because we add personal pronoun end of the verb. Like that "geliyor-(um) - Clarinete Sep 21, 2009
0

Same in Spanish - just use "estoy" for "to be"

http://www.spanishdict.com/learn/show/13

smile

• Sep 21, 2009
0

Estoy trabajando español= I am working spanish, what is this sentance conveying? perhaps it should be Estoy trabajando en españa, I am working in spain or perhaps it is trying to say Estoy estudiando español= I am studying spanish. Hope this is helpful to you.

• Sep 21, 2009
  • I was just about to post the same thing. Good thing I scrolled down the list. - Eddy Sep 21, 2009
  • Well, something like great minds think alike springs to mind.he he. - kenwilliams Sep 21, 2009