6

250 en inglés

0

Tambien esto es un tema en que paso yo tanto tiempo. Pues, alla donde vive Mari, dicen Two Hundred and Fifty. Dondo vivo yo, aca en el campo, la gente, en general, dicen Two Fifty. Otras lo explica en forma distincto. Bueno...yo les digo esto porque espanol no es distinco. Yo hablo en mi manera, otros, por exemplo de espana o dominica, tambien van en su propia forma. But when I say that about spanish, todos me miran tan como soy de Venus. Porque esto?

• Sep 19, 2009
  • The question was not how to say 250 but how to write it. - --Mariana-- Sep 19, 2009
  • yo le digo al principo como escribir lo...yo era una de los primeros! Mirete lo alla. - ChamacoMalo Sep 19, 2009
0

What makes me laugh so much is how Moe was all indignant...I CHALLENGE you! How dare you speak that way, it's UNACCEPTIBLE!!! But as it turns out, we speak english pretty good. Y el? Ya se queda en silencio. I can live on that all week. wink

• Remember, JohnJuan that Winston Chirchill said of England and America that they are one people divided by a common language. - Moe Sep 19, 2009
0

That's good, and quite interesting...but the most interesting is we don't live in Britian, we live in America...or at least some of do! We have our own customs, etc. Eso es como esa gente que dicen...me gusta hablar Castillano, pero viven en EE.UU. Pues, na de nosotros hablan the English Of The Queen, and we don't write The Numbers of the Queen, either! Just a humorus little insight. wink

• Sep 19, 2009
0

This was the most popular question of the day, so far. Who knew? I sure hope no one asks how to tie their shoes....we'll prolly crash the server!!! wink

• Sep 19, 2009
  • jejeje.. - --Mariana-- Sep 19, 2009
  • jajajaja... - Jason7R Sep 19, 2009
  • roflol jajajaja - Valerie Sep 19, 2009
  • wait...is it jejeje, or jajaja? ;-) roflmao - arnold3 Sep 19, 2009
  • jajajaja = hahahaha and jejejeje = hehehehe remember the j's make the "h" sound in Spanish. :) - Jason7R Sep 19, 2009
0

I really want to say that I was not expecting all this for a "simple" question. This is why I love this site. This thread has been pretty respectful and I really enjoy seeing everybody's opinions and answers. Thanks. smile

• Sep 19, 2009
  • You're right. This was a great question. - --Mariana-- Sep 19, 2009
0

Well, if we are still talking about this...let me say this. Strictly as a pictograph, $250 would read $250. The pictograph for Two hundred and Fifty would read $200&50;. But that is strictly as a pictograph. Two hundred and Fifty and tal cents, would read, as a pictograph, $200&50;(then you'd need someother mark)xx cents.

• Sep 19, 2009
  • Isn't it a good thing that we have left the caves and don't need to write in pictographs. - Moe Sep 19, 2009
  • :-) - --Mariana-- Sep 19, 2009
  • We have left the caves, havn't we?? Is anybody hiding a club behind their loincloth?? - Moe Sep 19, 2009
  • malditos los dos! - ChamacoMalo Sep 19, 2009
0

OK, vote number 1 for the question of the day!!! Anybody else? Too funny, JohnJuan, do not ask how to tie a shoe!

• Sep 19, 2009
  • I vote it number 1, with a bullet! No..that was not a reference to shooting someone! Just thought I'd say that before I get flamed! - ChamacoMalo Sep 19, 2009
  • Can we all send JohnJuan videos of how to tie shoes? Anybody got one in Spanish? lol - Valerie Sep 19, 2009
  • Thank you very much Val, but for your information, I just use velcro! Better not ask how to ganchar velcro, either! - ChamacoMalo Sep 19, 2009
  • Definitely #1 question of the day. - --Mariana-- Sep 19, 2009
  • hahahaha johnjuan... i teach kindergarten. I LOVE velcro jejejeje - Valerie Sep 19, 2009
0

Now...if Our Dear Friend Moe typed the way he talked, he would be putting "ehh?" at the end of many of his fraces because that's how Canadian English is spoken.

Your assumptions about how Moe usually speaks are completely unjustified (you are, presumably, extrapolating from you limited experience with how some Canadians speak). In a similar vein, many Americans (especially those under, say 30 years of age) are fond of using "like" (especially as a verb) to mean "said", did" "answered", asked" {almost anything, actually]). This, by no means, should suggest that all (or, even, the majority) of Americans follow this practice.

You have suggested on numerous occasions that the important thing is communication. In the process suggesting that vocabulary/grammar/syntax should be ignored and that it is enough that the listener understand what you are trying to say. For those that aspire to simply communicate (even in broken Spanish) this may be sufficient. I suspect, however, that most students of Spanish do not have (as their goal), learning to speak broken Spanish but, rather, to learn to speak standard (possibly with some regional variations) Spanish.

Try the following experiment: Ask a number of non-Spanish speakers (with some interest in learning Spanish), Which would you prefer to learn: the slang Spanish that is spoken in San Juan, Puerto Rico (for example) with emphasis on the terms/vocabulary/grammar that is peculiar to that area or the Spanish that is spoken/understood throughout most of the Spanish-speaking world (but without the peculiar variations that may be common to a particular region)?

If one is going anywhere except San Juan, knowledge of the slang of San Juan is useless (or worse than useless insofar as it interferes with learning/remembering the phrases used in other places). If one is going (does in fact go) to San Juan, there will be ample (daily) opportunities to learn the slang or the area (plus daily reinforcement).

• Sep 19, 2009
0

Strictly as a pictograph, $250 would read $250. The pictograph for Two hundred and Fifty would read $200&50;. But that is strictly as a pictograph.

Total nonsense. In the first place, almost nobody would actually write "200&50;" (a Google search produces 1,140 hits for this (as opposed to 40,7000,000 for "250". As to how it would be read, in French "deux cent cinquant", in Geman "zei hunnert funfzig" (not sure about the spelling), in Spanish "dos cientos cincuenta", in Japanese "ni hyakyu gojyu", in English "two hundred fifty" or "two hundred and fifty" (depending on the location/age/education) of the speaker.

• Sep 19, 2009
0

um...wow.

In standard American English, two hundred fifty is correct.

However, in spoken American English, you are far more likely to hear two hundred and fifty (at least here in the southeastern region of the US).

So, when writing -- unless you are quoting someone -- you should always write two hundred fifty -- especially on checks as, in that case, the word "and" specifically refers to the decimal point (example: two hundred fifty and 85/100 dollars = $250.85).

However, when speaking you may use either two hundred fifty OR two hundred and fifty. It really doesn't matter.