Best spanish dictionary | SpanishDict Answers

I'm learning Spanish via rosetta stone. What is the best Spanish dictionary? There are so many out there.

• please note that it is mandatory on this forum to use correct spelling, grammar, and capitalization in your posts. - - 00494d19 Sep 17, 2009 flag

Are you looking for English-Spanish-English? Cannot help with that. If you looking for a de facto Spanish dictionary the Real Academia Española is the one most recommended.

here is the address

The " Diccionario de la Lengua Española" is the ultimate but it will cost you about $150.00 at Barnes and Noble, at least that's what it cost when I bought mine. There is a CD version for about $50.00.

In school, I always used Vox and loved it. But it was more of a purchase of convenience in that I bought it in the airport on the way to Spain. I thought it had most of the words I wanted to know and it included a lot of examples. I really liked the reference section in the middle too with the irregular verbs. But now that I own 8 different dictionaries (we did a lot of dictionary research when choosing the digital versions for this site), I would vote that Chambers Harrap is the best. It just gives so many examples and alternate meanings. It's definitely my "go to" dictionary for English-Spanish.

However, I agree with Zoltán about the REA dictionary. It really helps learning since you are reading the definition in Spanish. It's great for looking up Spanish words you don't know, but not so great (obviously) for looking up the Spanish definitions for English words.

Delta, also check our online dictionary which is great.

And our lessons of course, we all think they are better than the ones you are doing, jeje

Learn Spanish Lessons are free and interactive with flashcards, videos etc. You will like them smile

If you're looking for a good Spanish-English/English-Spanish dictionary, I highly recommend a Vox brand dictionary. It has lots of alternate meanings and phrases, a supplemental grammar section, as well as a reference section with things like ordinal numbers.

I honestly believe, though I admit I got sidetracked myself when I first started using it, that it is best to use a Spanish language dictionary if you want to speed up learning rather than a Spanish - English dictionary. Once you understand basic words, you can read definitions and even if you have to look up some extra words once in a while, it makes learning much faster. It's a total immersion thing.

I don't have a good answer to your question but I want to say this site is way superior to Rosetta Stone.

Yes; REA is the standard.

For a home dictionary I like Harper Collins "Spanish Unabridged Dictionary" (Spanish-English). You will need a fork-lift to pick this up. It cost about $180. Before I got a good dictionay I test drove 5 different dictionaries (all very good/complete) from the library. This dictionary was my favorite. So you might check out your library before you buy.

I also keep a inexpensive paperback dictionary in my truck -- it has pages falling out and needs to be replaced.....cost $3.