discúlpame | SpanishDict Answers

disculpame

Disculpame is something you'd say if you bumped into someone, you'd say disculpame...which is different from if you'd want to pass someone, you'd say con permiso. wink Pardoname is another form of disculpame.

• discúlpame perdóname - 0074b507 Sep 16, 2009 flag
  • You need the accents for correct spelling and pronunciation! - --Mariana-- Sep 16, 2009 flag

so its kind of like "excuse me"

"Yes, it is very much like "excuse me."

I have also heard that one can simply say, "disculpe" to mean "excuse me, without making it reflexive.

¿Sí o no?

Plainly stated, "disculpame" means "I'm sorry".

Perhaps you bumped into someone while inattentive or stepped on someone's foot. If so, "¡Disculpame!" is the appropriate exclamation. If you spill red wine on a man's white shirt, "¡Ay! ¡Caramba! ¡Disculpame!" is surely appropriate.

In another entry, you asked about "con permisso". It is probably not possible to understand "con permisso" without also understanding "disculpame" and "perdóname".

As JohnJuan and Qfreed have stated, "perdóname " is the same as "disculpame". Another synonym for "disculpame" is "lo siento" which also means sorry.

• I thought Lo siento is I'm sorry. - Susurros Oct 9, 2012 flag

There is a book called "Breaking Out of Beginner's Spanish" by Joseph Keenan that spends a whole page talking about the nuances of excuse me or pardon me in Spanish.

• That is an amazingly awesome book. Everyone should read it! :) - Valerie Sep 16, 2009 flag

Perdoname is a bit more formal like when we say "Parden me" which many youth may or may not understand but most would understand "excuse me". When I was in Guatemala I was told it was best not to use the "Perdoname" because it sounded more like "Forgive me" rather than excuse me so it also depends on where you are and what group of people you are speaking with. The same applies here in the US. Example: If a person from England comes here they may be speaking proper English but that does not mean they will be understood by someone in Alabama. Con Permiso means "with permission". so this is very useful when trying to move through a crowd rather than asking everyone to forgive you.

• Whoops! Your fingers goofed and turned "Pardon" into "Parden." Pesky little fingers! ;) - territurtle Dec 20, 2011 flag

Ya ha pasado mucho tiempo, desde ese Septiembre en 2009, así que está bien: como es navidad, te disculpo.

so its kind of like "excuse me"

discúlpame - used when asking for information or directions. It means excuse me ... where is the ...

perdóname o perdón - used when you do something wrong or a mistake (bump into someone). It means forgive me.