How do you say they are in spanish for example " they are such beautiful beaches"

"Son playas tán bonitas..".. but it all depends on exactly what you want to say. Don't every be afraid to give context.

In this case we would just say son unas playas tan bonitas. We would ommit ellos.

They are= ellos/ellas son

There are, there is = hay

Hay muy linda playas acá (o allí). Hope this helps. smile

Son playas tantas bonitas. I think.

Have I misunderstood??

The question asked was "how do you say 'they are' in spanish?"

I would have thought the answer to be either of :

son (del infinitivo "ser"), o

estan (del infinitivo estar)

"Hay" as I understand it means "there is" or "there are" which is not the same a THEY are.

If "dhartland201's" example needs to be dealt with, wouldn't it be:

they are such beautiful beaches ─> Ellas son las playas preciosas (o, bonitas).

I'll wait for feedback from others.

• I understand the question but the problem is people do not use "they are" for There are. Just letting you know. - Jason7R Sep 15, 2009 flag
  • Nor do they use "there are" when "they are" was intended. Consider, "They are students". "They are going to the beach". "Hay" does not work in those sentences. - Moe Sep 15, 2009 flag
  • I think Moe's right: the original poster meant to say something like "[oh, look, honey ] They are such beautiful beaches." - --Mariana-- Sep 15, 2009 flag

I agree with Moe here. Lazurus "CID" rule applies and the use of "ser" should be used. "Hay" is from "haber".

• That's what I was saying. The question should actually read "How to say there are" in spanish not "they are" for this particular statement. - Jason7R Sep 15, 2009 flag
  • Jason, we must answer the question that was asked. We must not answer a different question from the one first entered in the thread. - Moe Sep 15, 2009 flag
  • I can also relate to Jason's point also, however "there are" was not the question posed to us. The question has another problem with the word "such". This is tough to translate into Spanish as used here. Do you agree? - Daniel Sep 15, 2009 flag
  • Daniel-If we focus energy on "such" we divert our attention from how to translate "they are". - Moe Sep 15, 2009 flag

They are -

they - ellos, ellas, ustedes

are verb after ellos, ellas, and ustedes - son

Well. I wonder if it should be "Son bonitas playas" because putting the adjective first indicates that "bonitas" is a comment that reflects on playas. Otherwise "Son las playas más / tán bonitas" seems the way. (for, of all the beaches, they are the most beautiful etc..... ) Of course "Son playas bonitas" works but it's not making as much of a statement about the beaches, as much as it is just talking of the existence of the beaches. I hope a native can correct me if I am wrong. Gracias....