perdon vs. lo siento | SpanishDict Answers

Hi!

Can someone please explain the difference between "perdon y lo siento?"

Muchas gracias.

• I realize that you asked this months ago, but I hope you see the great comparison that FTA84 makes below explaining the difference! - chaparrito Jan 13, 2010 flag

Perdon, in usage, is more like excuse me.

When you need to cross in front of someone shopping at the grocery store, you say Perdon.

If in the process, you knock over their cart, you say lo siento.

• I laughed when I read the part about knocking over their cart, though I'm not sure you meant it to be funny. :) - Theet Sep 10, 2009 flag
  • Excellent way to illustrate the difference. :-D - chaparrito Jan 13, 2010 flag
  • That was an awesome answer! :) - ThereseM Jan 22, 2010 flag
  • That was the explanation one of my English teachers gave me to differentiate between "Excuse me" and "I´m sorry" - lazarus1907 Dec 18, 2010 flag
  • The ONE EXAMPLE of "excuse me," and it was wrong! "Perdon" is only for thanking or forgiveness and burping, while (whilst?) "con permiso" is for leaving to be excused or moving through a crowd. - evilbonbon Jan 26, 2011 flag

If someone told you that their mother had just died or some other awful news you would say: Lo siento mucho meaning you feel very sorry. Perdone is just an excuse me.

perdon--pardon or forgiveness vs. lo siento--- I'm sorry. Both are words for feeling sorry or asking for forgiveness. I hope this helps. smile

Perdón is like "Pardon me." If you say "Lo siento," hopefully the response will be "de nada" (it's nothing) or "don't worry about it." Lo siento implies that whatever happened is an unfortunate accident. Apologizing for a serious mistake or purposeful action is "Pido disculpas," -It is my fault

Is "de nada" also used as a response to "perdón"?

In a situation: - "Sorry!" - "It' ok"