2

I went to a Mexican restaurant today for my friend's birthday. While the waiters were singing happy birthday to her they called her Panchita (instead of saying her name). What does panchita mean?

4

Pancho is a name that is used when you don't know someones name. Sort of like "Mac", "Buddy", "Bubba", or "Joe" in English. Panchita is the diminutive feminine version of Pancho.

2

Why didn't you simply ask one of them?

• Sep 1, 2009
  • Maybe because, like many celebrations in Mexican restaurants, it was too noisy? - 0057ed01 Nov 19, 2009
2

Panchita(o) is a diminutive for Pancha(o) and the last one is an alias for Francisca(o)..... Francis in English

• Nov 19, 2009
1

It seems to mean something like "little piece of bread" Sincerly, I hope this helps. I tried. remember people say things in Spanish in a way that seems very odd to us on first hearing, but after you get use to their sayings they are very beautiful.

• Sep 2, 2009
  • That would be "pancita" (a horse of a different color). - samdie Sep 29, 2011
1

panchita is also slang for a small jar of wine.

• Sep 29, 2011