how do you say "three-ring binder" in spanish? | SpanishDict Answers

I am looking for the correct phrasing to describe a notebook with three rings in which you place three-hole punched paper.

I looked in my Span/Eng – Eng/Span Dictionary (HarperCollins Publishers, 7th Edition, 2003) and found that:

Ring binder = Carpeta de anillas

On a guess, a three Ring binder = Una carpeta de tres anillas.

"Carpeta de anillos" o "carpeta de argollas". The standard is three rings, so I've never heard somebody saying "carpeta de tres argollas". I may be necessary to say if it has two or four rings. Never heard "cartapacio" in Argentina. Sounds Italian though.

¡Hola!, Smurf:

¡Buen descubrimiento! As suggested by your teacher, I would accept "cartapacio" as 3 ring binder. Just now I looked at the word in my dictionary and it said:

Cartapacio = [1] (=cuaderno) notebook, o [2] (carpeta) folder

On that definition, I would not have guessed that it meant 3 ring binder.

But, I "Googled" "cartapacio" and here is one of the hits I was referred to Cartapacio.

As the URL is sponsored by a stationer and the Manufacturer is the well known Mead, I'm guessing it's safe to say cartapacio is an OK word for 3 ring binder.

Thanks for your input.

Recuerdos/Regards,

Moe

I would simply say "El Cuaderno." but there might be a better translation.

I learned "binder" as "una carpeta de argollas". I imagine you can say "una carpeta de tres argollas" to mean "a three-ringed binder", but we should wait for natives to come by with better/more common suggestion, as those seem too long.

Yo he oido que le Llaman "cartapacio"

I asked a spanish teacher and they are known by different names like the ones above...but I think on of the most corect names that they use in Mexico and south and central america is "cartapacio".

Listen to the person from Argentina. Also, my teacher said pretty definitively that it's "la carpeta de argollas," and she's a native speaker.