Help with toast for a memorial service... | SpanishDict Answers

We are having a memorial service/tribute to the groom that worked at our barn for years...he passed away last week.

This is what I worked up...it is OK...

Dionissio:

Muchas gracias por todo lo que nos han dado nuestros caballos y durante todos estos años. El mundo es un lugar mejor porque usted ha estado en ella ...

Ahora, hay que darle hasta que lo hacemos con el corazón pesado.

Vaya con Dios, nuestro amigo ...

Welcome to the forums, Ellen. Sorry about the loss of your friend/groom. We have horses and can relate to the bond that develops with the people that help take care of them.

I would imagine your friend's name is spelled Dionicio.

Also, I am having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what you mean in a couple parts of your submission. Could you post the corresponding English version? That way we can tell you how to say precisely that in Spanish.

Thank you for all you have given to us and our horses for all these years. The world is a better place for having you in it.

Now, with heavy hearts, we must let you go...

Go with God, our friend.

Go with God, our friend.
"Muchas gracias por todo lo que nos has dado a nosotros y a nuestros caballos por todos estos años. El mundo es un mejor lugar porque tú has estado en él.

Ahora, con corazones entristecidos, tenemos que despedirte.

Adiós, nuestro amigo."

NOTE: I am not a native speaker, so please check back later to make sure I haven't made any mistakes here. I would imagine a native speaker could make some corrections/improvements, particluarly on how to word things for this kind of culture-specific situation.

Along those lines, I am not sure "Vaya con Dios" is the appropriate thing to say here, but a native speaker can tell us for sure. Also, I would like a native speaker to verify whether in fact "despedirte" is appropriate here, or if there is a better expression for this situation.

Other possible changes could be:
"El mundo está mejor porque ...."
"Ahora, con corazones tristes, ...." I don't think "pesados" is the word you want here.

thank you so much for your input!!!

I will start using this forum much more!!

The traditional Spanish name is Dionisio, with a single 's'.

Thank you, Lazarus. I must have either seen it misspelled, or the person had a non-standard spelling of the name.

Well.. it is the usual c/z problem. For a Latin American speaker, replacing one with another makes as little difference as b and v for any Spanish native speaker anywhere else, but to many people in Spain, "Dionicio" sounds like "Dionithio" in English, which is quite weird, actually. Here, a link to "Dionisio", the original Greek God:

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioniso