I'm learning conversational Spanish right now. I need to have a "normal" response to the phrase "Que pasa!". I want a response that the Spanish community uses. In English, I would respond by saying, "Nothin' much", or "Oh, same ole, same ole".

• If you go to the more tab, you can find a refference section that will teach you how to type tildes if you need help with that. - EL_MAG0 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • Wow, 10,509 views and not a vote. How did this get back on the top? - EL_MAG0 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • yo ... todo es fenomenal - readytodicta Mar 17, 2013 flag
  • Pues..... nada :-) - lagartijaver Jul 3, 2013 flag
  • Tjhere you go a vote from me , I do not know how i missed this first time around mate. - ray76 Jul 3, 2013 flag

I'm learning conversational Spanish right now. I need to have a "normal" response to the phrase "Que pasa!"

The normal reaction would be "¿Qué?" (What?), because written like that, it makes very little sense. If you write it properly (¿Qué pasa?), the two most common answers in Spain are: "¿Qué pasa" and "¿Qué tal?". It is like in English "How do you do? How do you do?", where both the "question" and the response are the same.

If there is something really happening to you, then you have to answer accordingly, as in "¿Qué pasa? - Estoy enfermo".

• Yes that's what my doctor says to me "Digame ¿ qué pasa? - kenwilliams Sep 3, 2009 flag
  • How do I reply.me duele la espalda or tengo una resfriada etc. - kenwilliams Sep 3, 2009 flag
  • I say , Dr x me dice tu eres el médico. - ray76 Oct 22, 2011 flag

"¿Qué pasa?" most closely means "What's up?" You actually can respond just as you would in English by saying "Nada mucho." (literally "nothing much" or "not much"). As said earlier, you could certainly say "Lo mismo" - meaning basically the same thing as "same ol' same ol' ".

Besides the default responses, you would probably respond by telling them whatever it is you're up to at the moment. Exactly the same as English! Hope that helps.

• that was really helpful...thanks - erickamoore2 Mar 10, 2011 flag
  • "No mucho" is a better option for "nothing much". They'll understand "nada mucho" but it'll get you pegged as a gringo. - rachelmichel Apr 27, 2011 flag
  • Que pasó ... What happened! - readytodicta Mar 17, 2013 flag

Sorry, guys. "Que pasa?" does not mean "What's up?" It means "What's wrong?" no estoy de acuerdo spanishteacher ... this is wrong too The correct way to say "What's up in Spanish is: "Qué hubo? or Qué hay de nuevo? and you never, never, never say "Nada mucho". That is a direct translation from English. You can answer "Nada" or "No mucho". practica tu español spanishteacher

• In So Cal it does mean, whats up or whats happening. In Baja Mexico, nobody really uses it, Que paso? they do, what happened or whats going on. Yo vivo en Playas de Tijuana, Mexico - Keyno Aug 20, 2009 flag
  • Que pasa? was the first Spanish greeting I learned from a Cuban friend. It definitely means what's up? - hanginout Oct 22, 2011 flag

Nada. or Lo mismo.

"¿Qué onda?" is another phrasing of "What's happening?"

Que Pasa? means whats up? You would respond mucho nada (nothing much) , me estoy relejando (i am just relaxing) or something else. Que pasa is not like a saying in english. for example: HEY! (the other person says) HEY!. if you pass through the halls with someone then you say que pasa which is bascially say hey whats happening with you. =) hope i helped.

Idioms vary country to country. Where I was growing up in the 1960's, "que pasa" was the equivalent of "whazzup", i.e. "what's happening". Your answer depends on whether you want to treat the question as rhetorical or literal. That in turn will depend on the intonation and context of the question. Rhetorically you can toss off with whatever one-liner you care to. A literal question requires an explanation. "Que pasó" would be the same except in past tense. If you hear "que te pasa" it is more clear, "what is the matter with you"; likewise "que te pasó" is "what happened to you". "Que hubo" ("what was") is weird, never heard that.

Nada.

Estoy feliz hoy.

I have a question. Is there a difference between "¡que pasa!" as a command, and ¿que pasa? as a question?

I wanted to ask someone "what's the matter?" when he came out of the lift after it was making noises that made it sound broken. I wanted to help and call the maintenance guy if it was. For my trouble in asking he became very threatening and abusive. I'm wondering if there is a difference in the meaning of the phrase, if the inflection on how you say it is changed. Does anyone know?

"Normal response"? Strange use of "normal" in English. Something a shrink on the witness stand might say to a shyster cross-examining him:

A: Now, Dr. Brane, when you asked my client if he heard voices in his head, what did he say?

B: He said, "I hear your voice" in my head.

A: And you took that as a sign that my client is deranged?

B: Well, it is not a normal response.

If nothing was going on, I would respond with either "Nada", and I think some people might also say: "No pasa nada".

What the questioner must mean, if not being perverse, is a "conventional" or "common" or "ordinary" or "customary" response, NOT a "normal one."