WHAT DOES "PERDON" MEAN? | SpanishDict Answers

WHAT DOES "PERDON" MEAN??

I BELIEVE IT MEANS SORRY, OR EXCUSE ME, BUT I WASN'T SURE....DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT IT MEANS?

It means excuse me, or sorry, if you bump into somebody. Can be perdone or perdona.

• perdón would be the noun=forgiveness, etc. - 0074b507 Aug 8, 2009 flag

Sí, es "Perdone o perdona" No depende. (For example) "Perdone señor o perdona señorita"

Bienvenida al foro.

• I think that means "pardon me" (imperative) perdone formal, perdona informal command. It's not a matter of concordance with sex. - 0074b507 Aug 9, 2009 flag

The word comes form Latin perdonare, from per- (through) plus donare (donate, give presents). French modified the vowel in per- to par-, and English took like with the "a" instead of the original "e". In other words, "perdón" and "pardon" are the same word.

You could also use "disculpe"/"disculpa" with the same meaning. Note: these are words that can be used either **after** doing something that might be considered impolite or in anticipation of such an action. There are other phrases that may **only** be appropriate before/after the fact.